Phone:   (978) 877-2536


Fax:   (978) 882-0234
United States of America Flag

~Process Server
Constable / Capias

Massachusetts Process Service

What We Serve     Capias Arrests     Fees
¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤  
Out-of-State Process     Serving Laws     FAQ's

Issued & Served Statewide
 United States Courts Authorized Process Server

Enforced Statewide

Types of Process We Serve
All Subpoenas (criminal, federal, civil) ● Divorce Process
● Notices to Quit (draft & serve) ● Paternity
● Probate Citations ● Summary Process
● Summonses and Complaints ● Small Claims
● All Probate Court Documents ● Evictions
Notices of Trespass (draft & serve) ● Capias
● Notices of Civil Arrests ● Adoption
● Modification ● Past Due Notices
● Demand for bad checks Witness Summons
● Federal Subpoenas
● Child Support

A Process Server is a person of good moral character and credibility, authorized by law and court rules, who serves various types of legal documents such as subpoenas, federal summonses, divorce process, eviction notices, witness summonses, etc. A Process Server must be a credible person and cannot have any felony convictions or have any serious misdemeanor convictions.

A Constable, on the other hand, is a process server who may be either elected or appointed by a town/city, who is required, under his/her commission, to perform the duties of a constable when called upon to do so. Such duties include enforcement of court orders and service of civil process that must be served by an officer authorized to serve civil process. Not every process server is a constable, however.

Many people believe that process serving is just handing someone a piece of paper. Though that is involved, there is much more to process serving. A Massachusetts Process Server or Constable may have to investigate a person's whereabouts (known as "skip-tracing"), stakeout a business or residence, and even be willing to make himself available to testify in court in the event a person attempts to challenge the fact that he was served. A Process Server or Constable must also document who, what, where, when and how a person was served. This is known as an "Affidavit of Process Server", "Return of Service", or simply, "Process Server Report".

Our Network specializes in serving all types of court process. We work with constables, process servers, and even deputy sheriffs. Most documents are served in the same day. Rush service is always available. If you can't locate a defendant or witness, allow us to utilize our law enforcement type database to locate them for you.

We will serve your paperwork anywhere in Massachusetts. Our team welcomes out-of-state process that needs to be served in Massachusetts.

For the Issuance of subpoenas, click here.

Capias Warrant Enforcement
Handcuffs   A capias warrant is a civil arrest warrant issued by a judge,
  clerk-magistrate, or other authorized official. The term
  "capias" is a Latin term meaning "that you take", in this
  context it is used to "take the body" before the court.
  Another term often used is "body attachment." The capias is
  used in this instance to order a law enforcement official, or
  someone equivalent, to arrest and bring a person before the
  court for failure to comply with certain court orders,

1.  Failure to appear (including witnesses, respondents in paternity or divorce
      actions, etc.)

2.  Failure to pay financial obligations (fines, forfeitures, assessments, surcharges,
      court costs, etc.). For financial obligations the person arrested may be released
      with no further court appearances upon payment of the obligation.

3.  Any other civil court order.

If you have a civil arrest warrant (capias) issued by a Massachusetts Court that needs to be enforced then the Massachusetts Notary Public & Legal Support Network is willing to apprehend the subject  for you. The Civil Enforcement Officers of this Network will locate, arrest, and transport the subject to the courthouse that issued the warrant.

We will not accept any capias warrants that do not have the official seal of the officer or court of law issuing it. All warrants are verified through the court before enforced.

Cost to enforce Capias and/or attempt to collect monetary judgment from judgment debtor is between $150 - $300. Email us with any specific questions or to use our services.


Fee's for Service of Process:
* Regular service of process does not include enforcement of Capias Warrant of Civil Arrest or paperwork from other States.
Service of Process
1-5 Miles:
$50 per doc.
6-10 Miles:
$65 per doc.
11-20 Miles:
$75 per doc.
20+ Miles:
$85 per doc. + .50¢ mile
If you work for a law office and use us a lot, we may be able to lower our fees as a courtesy. Feel free to email us if you have any questions.
Please note that the fees above DON'T include the witness fees required to be paid to the applicable witnesses by law. You're required to give us the money to pay the witnesses. In the event that we pay out of our pockets, you're required to reimburse us for any payments made to a witness.




Legal Papers From Other States

Our team welcomes legal process from out-of-state and other foreign jurisdictions. We can serve your paperwork anywhere in Massachusetts for $135 per set of documents served. For instance, if you have divorce paperwork from your Florida Court and need it served here in Massachusetts, the total cost would be $135 regardless of where it needs to be served. 

The flat rate includes unlimited attempts at serving one person in-hand. If we have to visit an address 10 times in order to serve one person in-hand, we will do so at no extra charge to you.

Where can I send my out-of-state documents for service of process?
---- Please send two copies of everything you need served to this direct mailing address:

Korey Humphreys
Process Server
60 Washington Street
Ayer, MA 01432

Most people use FedEx Overnight Delivery; however, this is optional. You may send the documents to us via  FedEx, UPS, USPS, or DHL.

I need to have two or more people served at one address, what are the additional fees?
--- If you need to serve more then one person at a single address, the total cost would be $135 plus $30 per each individual. Therefore, if you need two people served at one location, total cost would be $165.

How can I pay the $135 fee?
---- You can send a check, money order, or Postal Money Order (from Post Office). It should be payable to:  Korey E. Humphreys.

Or you can pay by credit or debit card by clicking the button below:

Rather then mailing the documents, I would like to email them to you for faster service. Can I email the documents to you?

--- If there are only a few pages that need to be served, then you can email the documents.

Please do not email documents that have more then 10 pages.


Process Serving Laws:


M.G.L. c. 268 § 6B: Process servers; false statements; penalty
Any process server who returns to the court a writ or other official instrument of process on which he has willfully falsified either the fact that service has been made, or the fact that a particular kind of service has been made, shall be punished by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year.

M.G.L. c. 136 § 8: Service or execution of process
Civil process shall not be served or executed on Sunday, and such service if made shall be void, and the person who serves or executes it shall be liable in damages to the person aggrieved in like manner as if he had no such process; provided, that this section shall not apply to service of such process by publication in a newspaper published on Sunday.

M.G.L. c. 233 § 2: Service of [witness] summons
Such summons may be served in any county by an officer qualified to serve civil process or by a disinterested person by exhibiting and reading it to the witness, by giving him a copy thereof or by leaving such copy at his place of abode.

Massachusetts Rules of Civil Procedure:
Rule 4(c): By Whom Served:
Except as otherwise permitted by paragraph (h) of this rule, service of all process shall be made by a sheriff, by his deputy, or by a special sheriff; by any other person duly authorized by law; by some person specially appointed by the court for that purpose; or in the case of service of process outside the Commonwealth, by an individual permitted to make service of process under the law of this Commonwealth or under the law of the place in which the service is to be made, or who is designated by a court of this Commonwealth. A subpoena may be served as provided in Rule 45. . .

Rule 45(c): Subpoena
A subpoena may be served by any person who is not a party and is not less than 18 years of age. Service of a subpoena upon a person named therein shall be made by delivering a copy thereof to such person, or by exhibiting it and reading it to him, or by leaving a copy at his place of abode; and by tendering to him the fees for one day's attendance and the mileage allowed by law. When the subpoena is issued on behalf of the United States or the Commonwealth or a political subdivision thereof, or an officer, or agency of either, fees and mileage need not be tendered.

Massachusetts Rules of Domestic Relations Procedure:
Rule 4(c): By Whom Served:
Except as otherwise permitted by paragraph (h) of this rule, service of all process shall be made by a sheriff, by his deputy, or by a special sheriff; by any other disinterested person; by any other person duly authorized by law; by some person specially appointed by the court for that purpose; or in the case of service of process outside the Commonwealth, by an individual permitted to make service of process under the law of this Commonwealth or under the law of the place in which the service is to be made, or who is designated by a court of this Commonwealth. A subpoena may be served as provided in Rule 45. . .

Rule 45(c): Subpoena
Identical to Mass.R.Civ.P. 45(c)

Massachusetts Rules of Criminal Procedure:
Rule 17(d): Service of summonses for witnesses:
A summons may be served by any person authorized to serve a summons in a civil action or to serve criminal process. A summons shall be served upon a witness by delivering a copy to him personally, by leaving it at his dwelling house or usual place of abode with some person of suitable age and discretion then residing therein, or by mailing it to the witness' last known address.  


Title 18 U.S.C. § 1501: Assault on process server:
Whoever knowingly and willfully obstructs, resists, or opposes any officer of the United States, or other person duly authorized, in serving, or attempting to serve or execute, any legal or judicial writ of process of any court of the United States, or United States magistrate judge; or

Whoever  assaults, beats, or wounds any officer or other person duly authorized, knowing him to be such officer, or other person so duly authorized, in serving or executing any such writ, rule, order, process, warrant, or other legal or judicial writ or process --

Shall, except as otherwise provided by law, be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

Federal Rules of Civil Procedure:
Rule 4(c): Summons:
(1) In General:
A summons must be served with a copy of the complaint. The plaintiff is responsible for having the summons and complaint served within the time allowed by Rule 4(m) and must furnish the necessary copies to the person who makes service.

(2) By Whom [Served]:
Any person who is at least 18 years old and not a party may serve a summons and complaint.

(3) By a Marshal or Someone Specially Appointed:
At the plaintiff's request, the court may order that service be made by a United States marshal or deputy marshal or by a person specially appointed by the court. The court must so order if the plaintiff is authorized to proceed in forma pauperis under 28 U.S.C. § 1915 or as a seaman under 28 U.S.C. § 1916.

Rule 45(b): Service of Subpoena:

(1) By Whom; Tendering Fees; Serving a Copy of Certain Subpoenas:
Any person who is at least 18 years old and not a party may serve a subpoena. Serving a subpoena requires delivering a copy to the named person and, if the subpoena requires that person's attendance, tendering the fees for 1 day's attendance and the mileage allowed by law. Fees and mileage need not be tendered when the subpoena issues on behalf of the United States or any of its officers or agencies. If the subpoena commands the production of documents, electronically stored information, or tangible things or the inspection of premises before trial, then before it is served, a notice must be served to each party.

Frequently Asked Questions:
Evading Service of Process

Why use a Certified Process Server (CPS) instead of the Sheriff's Office?
It is thought by many that the only entity that is authorized to serve civil process is the Sheriff's Department. This is not true and many Sheriff's Departments welcome the idea of professional process servers because they take a lot of the workload away and, as a result, prevents the Sheriff's Department from becoming overloaded with work. Also, a professional process server has the ability to offer more flexible services then a deputy sheriff could. For instance, the Sheriff's Department may only have time to attempt to serve someone once a day whereas a professional process server may be able to make several attempts.
Back to FAQ's

Why should I use the Massachusetts Notary Public & Legal Support Network instead of a local constable or Sheriff's Department?
Deputy sheriffs and constables do offer process server services, however, they are usually backlogged and do not offer extra care, diligence and dedication to completing more difficult serves.  Please keep in mind that our network uses the services of constables and deputy sheriffs; however, when they serve process for this network, they give us some professional courtesy and serve the paperwork the way we want it served.
Back to FAQ's

Do you serve domestic relations process?
Yes. We serve all domestic relations process including the following:

                * Divorce Summons & Complaint
                * Domestic Relations Summons
                * Complaint for Support, Custody, and/or Visitation
                * Subpoenas
                * Modifications, etc.

We can serve all process issued by the Family & Probate Court.
Back to FAQ's

Do you serve criminal subpoenas?
Yes. We serve all subpoenas regardless if they are for a civil, federal, or criminal case. In fact, we can even draft and issue your subpoenas. Click here for more information regarding our subpoena services.
Back to FAQ's

Do you serve federal court process?
Yes. We are authorized to serve for the federal courts. We are allowed to serve the following federal court process: Federal Summons & Complaint; All Federal Subpoenas.

Back to FAQ's

How many copies should I make of each document that needs to be served?
You should make two copies of each document you need served. One copy will be served on the party you need served, and the other copy will be kept by the process server for his/her records.
Back to FAQ's

Are original documents served by the process server?
No. We need to have two copies of every document that you need served. You must give the original documents to the process server so he/she can certify that the copies being served are true copies of the original. After service is made, the process server will return the original documents and will include a return of service.
Back to FAQ's

Do your process servers serve process discretely?
Since we acknowledge that many litigants attempt to evade service of process, our process servers usually dress in street clothes. If a party knows of a pending case, he or she may refuse to answer their door if they observe a uniformed officer standing outside their home. We feel that it is easier to serve court process dressed in street clothes.
Back to FAQ's

If a spouse or litigant is known to be violent, should I tell the process server?
Yes! It is very important for you to notify the process server if you feel that the person you need served will become hostile. If you know the person has a history of violence, please let us know. Many times we request that the police standby and assist us if we have reason to believe we may be in danger. Although violence towards a process server is rare in civil matters, it is not unheard of.
Back to FAQ's

When can I expect my papers to be served?
Most paperwork is served within 24 hours after we receive your service request. Court process cannot be served on Sundays and most legal holidays.
Back to FAQ's

How many attempts are generally made?
You are guaranteed that multiple attempts will be made unless information is obtained that the party is no longer at that location. Additional charges apply for a new address.
Back to FAQ's

What happens if you can't serve the paperwork?
After substantial attempts are made without progress, we will advise you to ask the court to permit substitute service (publication in a newspaper, etc.) As a courtesy, we would reduce our fees and charge you only a reasonable amount to cover travel expenses.
Back to FAQ's

What fees do you charge?
The fees are determined by the amount of miles traveled from our location to the person being served.
Also, for the service of subpoenas (witness summons), you may have to tender to the witness (person being served) a small amount of money for one day's attendance and the mileage allowed by law ( see: Mass. R. Civ. P. 45(c) ).

If the process server pays out of his/her pocket, you must reimburse him/her.
Please see our fee schedule below for more information.
Back to FAQ's

How can I tell if a process server is part of this network?
All of our process servers carry an official process server ID card that is issued by this network. Additionally, they will have a network badge that reads, "Official Massachusetts Process Server". The bottom panel will have "IPS" engraved.

If a professional process server is claiming to be affiliated with the Massachusetts Notary Public & Legal Support Network and you have your doubts, feel free to call us for verification at (978) 877-2536.
Back to FAQ's

Memberships / Affiliates:
 United States Process Serving Corp- locate a process server anywhere in the United States - A Private Investigator-Security-Process Server Portal Website, providing; International Referral Network & Directories-Spy Gear-Cameras & Software-PI Gear-Career Info-Legal Forms and more. 

Notice: Our Network consists of constables, deputy sheriffs, and disinterested process servers.
Prices subject to change without notice.

Website and all contents © Copyright Korey Humphreys 2002-2012, All rights reserved.